31 August 2006

:: Live to Work, Work to Live ::

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I came back from the movie "The Devil wears Prada". It was only a so-so film... But it makes me ponder something what he always preach. Do you work to live, or live to work??
How many of us fall into the category of "work to live" in Singapore? Is that good...or is that bad?

I look at my parents and i think to myself. If they can raise their three children up and see them to university just by being a hawker (which they have to work very very hard), I don't see why many of us who are earning probably 2500 to 3000 or higher can't....in fact, i think they can...with a certain level of comfort some more ~ meaning these people can afford to buy a house and a car.
He will beg to differ. "Yes they can afford but these people here HAVE to work...in order to pay for their mortgages, car loan, or whatever loans they get themselves into. They can't afford to lose their job!" Well, there seem to have a certain truth in them. People get themselves into many loans which they can afford...but they can't lose their job...they can't afford to stop working...And will they have enough savings for the future?
Of late, he and I have been discussing about buying a car. Come to think of it, between a car and house, I'll prefer to buy a house than a car since the car isn't really mine after 10 years...and with the increasing fuel prices, car park, road tax...is it still worthwhile even though u can jolly well afford. Not that I don't want a car..Not that i can't afford...I LOVE to have car...and often dream about the car i wanna buy. However, at this point in time, I would rather have a solid roof over my head, especially when i just step into the workforce. I guess i ought to save up first for my future....wedding...honeymoon...house...renovation...holidays...kids education...all these need MOOLA!!!! I wanna live comfortably with a certain level of savings of course, and without worrying about making both ends meet each month....even though when I'm outta job for some time. Now? Cash is KING.
Car?? Dun worry...I'm sure i'll get it one day with much ease.
The show also kinda reminds me of my previous job. He always complained that my working hours are long...unappreciative boss, deal with politics, and with all of these, it wasn't accompanied by a good pay. So perhaps my current job is not that bad after all. I'm sure if he is reading what i've just wrote, he would be smiling and thinking "AHhhh...finally she realised!" or... "See! See! I told you so! Your current job is a lifestyle job!"

Yes honey, i agree with you. But it doesn't mean its all that bad for an office job.
Well, it all depends on what you really want and your priorities. If a person love his/her job, it doesn't matter if he/she is slogging..coz to her, it ain't work anymore. He/she is enjoying it even though he/she might not be highly paid.
But of course, I think you shouldn't be so obsessed with you work till your own personal life is jeopardised. You still need your own time to unwind... catch up with family and friends. After all, life is very short! You can't just leave this world without enjoying life, without discovering the beauties of life, without exploring life! Please don't leave it till the last quarter of your life to realise this...else it would have been a wasted trip on earth. So go on! Go ahead enjoy the life you want it! You don't come to this world to become a work slave! You don't get a second chance, do you?
So..do you want to live to work, or work to live? :)

No comments: